Friday, May 10, 2013

Week 6: Lesson 3 Eye Glasses Cont.

Once I began college I realized that I needed eyeglasses (spectacles) to get the needed notes within auditorium type classrooms. I knew for sometime that I needed glasses, but denial of my failing eyesight prevented me from visiting the optometrist. It wasn't popular culture that prevented me from getting eyeglasses, but the fact that I wanted to be the only brother without corrective lenses. Once I visited my optometrist I learned that I was nearsighted and needed corrective lenses to focus on far away objects.



Vision problems plague 60% of the population in the United States. Many vision problems like myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia can be prevented with the use of corrective lenses. Through mainstream media eyeglasses were seen as the iconic symbol for the nerd, as with Steve Urkle, Peter Parker, and Leonard. The 21st century has changed the iconic symbol to a fashion statement in which many people wear glasses that don't require a prescription.




Fraser Eye Care Center: Myopia, Hyperopia, Astigmatism, & Presbyopia

Myopia (Nearsightedness): An individual is able to see objects up close, but is unable to focus on far objects. The shape of the eye is elongated compared to a normal eye.

Hyperopia (Farsightedness): An individual is able to see objects far away, but is unable to focus on near objects. The shape of the eye is shorter compared to a normal eye.




Astigmatism: An individual has blurred vision due to the cornea or lens is irregularly shaped which causes refraction problems.

Presbyopia: As individuals reach of age of 40 the supporting structures of the lens wear down, which causes similar symptoms of a farsighted individual.

CDC: National Data Vision Statistics - If you click on the National Eye Institute/Statistics and Data website it will give you charts and tables that describe vision problems from 200 to 2010.
CDC: West Virginia Vision Statistics - This site does contains the same information but focuses on 2007 West Virginia data.

Research:

Using the information that you have learned about the eye and the disorders that can affect the eye, you will need research corrective lenses and statistical data for nearsightedness and farsightedness. You will need to create a presentation (power point, prezi, and others) that covers the checklist.

  1. Presentation
    1. Minimum of eight slides
    2. Include pictures or video
    3. Slide etiquette: use pictures, limited wording, title for each slide, able to read
    4. Last slide is bibliography (MLA format)
  2. Content
    1. Describe nearsightedness and farsightedness and provide an example
    2. Describe the corrective lenses need to fix farsightedness and nearsightedness
    3. Provide statistical data for vision problems


4 comments:

  1. Brian, I really liked how you connected the concept of glass with the content of eyes and disorders associated with them. I also think connecting the concept of glasses could also shed light on careers. Nice grouping of lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great connection of your content to the glass project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian your lesson inspired me to integrate the human eye into my blog and lessons. I posted a two part blog and integrated the eye and a magnifying glass. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the connection with science and the way in which you presented the information - even adding some humor. Great way to get them involved and interested!

    ReplyDelete