Friday, July 19, 2013

Week 16 Day 5: Vicksburg in the Pittsburgh

Tower of Learning
Today we visited well known attractions of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Natural History Museum/Art Gallery and the Phipps Conservatory. As I was walking through the Natural History Museum I decided that I would try to have my students to make a temporary museum in the hallway. This museum will give students more detail about a topic, but not so much detail that it answers all questions. I would also want to incorporate all the senses in the display. It also made me think about extinct species and the article from National Geographic on de-extinction, in how researchers are looking to use genetic technology to bring back extinct species.




The Phipps Conservatory was interesting to see all the different plants located throughout the grounds. Below are pictures of glass sculptures and plants that I found.










3 comments:

  1. Didn't you love how well infused the Chihuly glass is with the plants at the conservatory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially liked the desert room and there was a piece of glass hanging in the ceiling to represent the rays of the sun

      Delete
    2. Since I am a cactus lover, that is my favorite room.

      Delete