Thursday, July 25, 2013

Week 17: Corpse Flower




















Upon my visit to the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, PA I noticed the largest flower in the world, known as the Corpse Flower (Amorphophallus titanum). I was awe inspiring to see and learn about something that I have never heard of before. This flower comes from western Sumatra, which is an island located in south east Asia. The flower receives its name because during pollination the Corpse flower emits a smell of a dead carcass for 24 hours. This will attract carrion eating beetles and flesh flies which in turn are used as pollinators to other flowers. It was an honor to get see something like this found in nature.

2 comments:

  1. Although I have never been there while it is blooming, I understand that the stink is quite strong.
    I would like to see the plant in flower, perhaps from a distance because of the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen videos of people retching as they get close. Where is smell-o-vision when you need it!

    ReplyDelete